Dennis Carman, President & CEO
United Way of Greater Plymouth County
934 West Chestnut Street
Brockton, MA 02301
508-583-6306 ext. 105
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
United Way of Greater Plymouth County Announces Enhanced Security Features to Free Online Tax Filing Tool
MyFreeTaxes.com provides a free, safe and easy way to file state, federal taxes
Brockton, MA (January 25, 2017) – United Way Greater Plymouth County today announced enhanced security features to MyFreeTaxes designed to further safeguard taxpayer information. MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe and easy way for anyone earning $64,000 or less to file state and federal taxes.
For the past eight years, United Way has partnered with H&R Block to provide free tax filing services for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Since that time, the partnership has helped more than 750,000 taxpayers claim every deduction and credit they deserve. These tax breaks that lead to refunds provide important opportunities for individuals and families in Greater Plymouth County to build their financial stability.
“MyFreeTaxes helps put refund money back in the taxpayers’ pockets so that they can pay bills, cover their costs of living, and put money aside to build a more stable financial future. We are proud to offer this terrific service to our community,” said Dennis Carman, United Way of Greater Plymouth County President & CEO.
When it comes to access security and protecting client data, H&R Block is among the industry leaders. Its online filing platform contains:
• Encryption technology that helps safeguard sensitive information
• Several layers of authentication for H&R Block account access which further protects from unauthorized
• Secure connection established between client’s browser and H&R Block servers, encrypting any data that is passed between them to protect the privacy of that data
Eligibility and features
Taxpayers earning less than $64,000 can enter their data through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes from home, at work or on mobile devices.
The key features of MyFreeTaxes include:
• Free, unlimited, personalized real-time chat and phone support from IRS-certified operators at 1-855-MY-TX-HELP. The helpline, with operators who speak both English and Spanish, operates from January 13 through April 18 from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm EST Monday through Friday and noon to 9:00 pm EST on Saturday
• Refund RevealTM will show filers how and why their refund amount is changing
• MyFreeTaxes is promoted by United Way, and users can contact their local United Way for other local resources, or find ways to volunteer and further support their community
• Advanced functionality for those working in the gig economy or need to include information regarding real estate investments, stock options or inheritance taxes
MyFreeTaxes comes with the same brand promise as all H&R Block’s products: that consumers are guaranteed a maximum refund, 100 percent accuracy and 100 percent satisfaction. H&R Block’s DIY products are based on 60-plus years of preparing income tax returns.
About United Way of Greater Plymouth County
Established in 1922, United Way of Greater Plymouth County’s mission is “We unite people, ideas and resources to improve the lives of people in Greater Plymouth County.” United Way envisions a “a safe, healthy and well-educated community in which people's needs are met effectively, respectfully and compassionately” by focusing its resources on addressing the vital and interconnected needs of education, health and financial stability. United Way serves the communities of southeastern Massachusetts, including the city of Brockton and the towns of Abington, Avon, Bridgewater, Carver, Duxbury, East Bridgewater, Easton, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Kingston, Lakeville, Marshfield, Middleboro, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rockland, Stoughton, West Bridgewater, and Whitman.
About H&R Block
H&R Block, Inc. (NYSE: HRB) is a global consumer tax services provider. Tax return preparation services are provided by professional tax preparers in approximately 12,000 company-owned and franchise retail tax offices worldwide, and through H&R Block tax software products for the DIY consumer. H&R Block also offers adjacent Tax Plus products and services. In fiscal 2016, H&R Block had annual revenues of over $3 billion with 23.2 million tax returns prepared worldwide. For more information, visit the H&R Block Newsroom at http://newsroom.hrblock.com/.