Dennis Carman, President & CEO
United Way of Greater Plymouth County
934 West Chestnut Street
Brockton, MA 02301
508-583-6306 ext. 205
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 3, 2023
United Way of Greater Plymouth County Offers Free Online Tax Filing Tool
More than 1.3 Million MyFreeTaxes® Filers Have Used MyFreeTaxes since 2009
Brockton, MA – Today, United Way of Greater Plymouth County announced the launch of this tax season’s MyFreeTaxes.com site. For the 12th year, United Way is providing online tax filing software, accessible through MyFreeTaxes.com, to help taxpayers easily and accurately file their taxes from their computer or smartphone. MyFreeTaxes® is a free and easy way to file federal and state tax returns.
“Taxes can be a source of confusion and stress,” said Dennis Carman, President & CEO. “Many of us are intimidated by the complexities of taxes and afraid to make a mistake that will cost money. With MyFreeTaxes, you can take advantage of all the tax credits and deductions you qualify for. That’s especially important now, as so many are struggling in the aftermath of the pandemic. Last year, 248 of our neighbors in Plymouth County took advantage of the free tool and with an average refund amount of $2,161. We would love to see many more use MyFreeTaxes this year.”
Key features of the online tool include:
● Screens for credit and deduction eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund, and lets filers check for any missed stimulus payments
● Shows filers how and why their refund amount is changing in real time
● Allows individuals to use their mobile phone, tablet or computer to file taxes
● Help from a real person trained by the IRS via the MyFreeTaxes’ Helpline.
● Access to additional financial products and resources, including free access to a student debt management tool that will help employees easily lower payments or find loan forgiveness.
MyFreeTaxes is FREE for all returns and includes schedule C options. A list of the tax forms included in this free offering is available by visiting MyFreeTaxes.com.
About United Way of Greater Plymouth County
Established in 1922, United Way of Greater Plymouth County’s mission is “We unite people, ideas and resources to improve the lives of people in Greater Plymouth County to build a stronger community.” United Way envisions a “a safe, healthy, diverse and welcoming community where everyone’s needs are met equitably, respectfully and compassionately” by focusing its resources on addressing the vital and interconnected needs of education, health and income. United Way serves the communities of southeastern Massachusetts, including the city of Brockton and the towns of Abington, Avon, Bridgewater, Carver, Duxbury, East Bridgewater, Easton, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Kingston, Lakeville, Marshfield, Middleboro, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rockland, Stoughton, West Bridgewater, and Whitman.